We have recently had a number of Tenants and Owners contact us regarding controlling mould in your property
With the colder months comes an increase chance of mould developing inside. There are number of steps that you can take to minimise the growth of mould thus reducing the chances of property damage.
Mould spores will grow and reproduce in damp, unventilated areas around your house if they have a food source such as dust, dirt or organic matter.
Moisture and humidity levels are required to support mould growth.
The cheapest and easiest way of reducing moisture and humidity levels is by ventilating a room by opening a window or door. All areas of the house should be continuously ventilated where possible.
The most effective method of reducing moisture is to use exhaust fans in areas where water vapour is created. There must be enough ventilation for an adequate intake of fresh air to replace the moist air.
Condensation and mould growth can be reduced by providing a continuous low level of dry heat. Continuous, even heating will allow warmth to penetrate the walls and ceilings. On cool days try to keep the inside temperature at least 5°C higher than the outside temperature.
Top Tips for cheap mould prevention
1) opening curtains and blinds during the day
2) opening windows and doors when possible
3) using an exhaust fan or opening a window when cooking
4) using lids on pots and saucepans
5) open a window or door or use an exhaust fan when having a shower or bath to control air moisture
6) clean and dry surfaces that get wet regularly.
7) hanging wet clothes outdoors
8) opening a window when using a clothes drier or venting the drier outside
How do I remove mould?
Mould should be removed as soon as it appears. Completely eliminating mould and its causes can take some persistence. Small areas of mould can be cleaned by using a bleach mixture (1 part bleach to 3 parts water) or a suitable commercial product (follow the manufacturer’s instructions). Wear rubber gloves, take care not to splash the cleaning solution and make sure the area is well ventilated. Don’t dry-brush the mouldy area as a brush can flick mould spores into the air which may cause health problems.If mould returns, there may be an underlying problem. If mould contamination is extensive then a professional cleaner should be consulted.